Weight Loss Ticker

About Me

My photo
TX, United States
I am a 39 yr. old stay at home mom to 3 girls ages 10, 9 and 7. My goal is to be fit by 40! I want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I was banded on 4/5/2011. I tend to be a bit on the sarcastic and cynical side. I love to read, hate to excersise (but am learning to tolerate it!), love to shop and want to smack anyone who is a size 2 (not really!). I am learning to work with my band and my new self one day at a time!

Contact Info

Please feel free to e-mail me at brendamyers@msn.com

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The First Fill....(Cue Scary Music!)

I had my first fill today.  I really didn't know what to expect.  Some people say it hurts while others say it is not painful.  What you are about to read is my experience.  READER BEWARE!!! haha

My doctor does all fills in the ultra sound room.  The nurse had me lie down on the table and squirted the lovely slime on my belly where my port is.  At this point I was praying they found only a port...NOT a baby (I already have 3.  4 if you include my husband!).  She located it in a matter of seconds and told me she could feel in close to the skin so it was going to be a breeze.  I asked her if it is really possible for anything with a needle that big to be a "breeze".  She laughed uncomfortably.  Go figure.

Next, in walks my surgeon and his nurse (both are wonderful).  She (the nurse) lifted up the needle.  I began to sweat a little.  I asked my surgeon if he was going to numb me.  After claiming it would only take a few seconds, he felt for the port area.  I asked him if he could quickly run and get me a Valium (I felt a little panicky!). 

He told me he was putting 2cc's in a 10 cc band.  INSERT NEEDLE HERE!!!!!  Those people who say you can not feel it are...LIARS!  Keep in mind, I have had 3 c-sections so I am not a pansy..but, it was uncomfortable.  Not downright awful, just uncomfortable.  What made matters worse is that he couldn't get into the port....so, after the port rolling around for a few minutes (OUCH!) the needle finally went in.  He then took out the 2.2cc's that were there during the surgery and refilled the port to 4.2cc's total. 

Then they had me drink a sip of water (I think maybe Chardonnay would have been better!).  I felt it going down...then sitting there.  CRAZY!  I told them it was a bit tight but they said it is normal and to sip all day on liquids.

On the way home I felt a bizarre gurgling sensation.  Then a very strange feeling in my jaw.  I coughed and up came.....foam!  I foamed!  It wasn't horrible, it wasn't nauseating, it was just WEIRD.  That is the best word to describe it.

All day, it has been hard to keep the gurgling away.  I have been taking very small sips of water.  At about 5 p.m.  I finally got an Ensure shake down.  Then I had de-caf coffee and that really seemed to help the tightness. 

So, all in all it wasn't the worst experience.  Will I be scared next time?  No.  It is something I have to do to get healthy.  That in itself is reason enough for fill #2.

THINGS TO HAVE ON HAND AFTER A FILL (OR AT LEAST AT MY HOUSE)

1.  Hot beverages
2.  Soup (broth or anything every liquidy)
3.  Protein powder or ready made shakes
4.  VALIUM  or WINE


I don't mean to scare you (really!), but this is the needle!

No comments:

Post a Comment