Weight Loss Ticker

About Me

My photo
TX, United States
I am a 39 yr. old stay at home mom to 3 girls ages 10, 9 and 7. My goal is to be fit by 40! I want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I was banded on 4/5/2011. I tend to be a bit on the sarcastic and cynical side. I love to read, hate to excersise (but am learning to tolerate it!), love to shop and want to smack anyone who is a size 2 (not really!). I am learning to work with my band and my new self one day at a time!

Contact Info

Please feel free to e-mail me at brendamyers@msn.com

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Motivation

Today, my husband called me from work.  He was really discouraged about loosing weight.  His surgery is scheduled for May 3rd.  The scale has not moved in 2 days.

I never thought that I would be anyone's motivational speaker....especially about weight loss.  But, I found myself spurting out information that 2 months ago I had no knowledge of. 

Here are a few of the things I have learned:

1.  When dieting there will come a point when your body "freaks out".  In other words, you went from say a 2,000 calorie a day diet to 1,200.  Your body, after giving up initial pounds thinks it is starving.  It is holding on to fat, water, anything it can to survive.  Eventually, it will give in.  Wait it out!

2.  EVERY dieter has a run in with stagnant weight loss.  They call it a plateau.  The thing that jolts weight loss again is different for every person.  Some people need to drop fat and eat more protein.  Some people need a bit more excersise.  Some people need more calories than others.  A 1,000 calorie a day diet may work for me but for you it may take 1,600 calories a day. 

3.  People that depend on food for emotional needs have the hardest time with the plateau.  They tend to throw in the towel and turn to their friend,  food.  I know, I have been there.  Talk to someone...anyone.

4.  Even 2 lbs. lost is 2 lbs. less than you were before.  Some people have to take baby steps when loosing weight; others take giant leaps.  It is easy to give up but just remember 2 lbs. a week X 4 is 8 lbs. a month.  8 X 12 months is 96 pounds in a year.  That is a lot!

5.  Make little goals not big ones.  Start with something small.  My original exercise goal is to walk 30 minutes a day.  My next goal is 35 minutes a day.  And I will increase that number by 5 minutes a week until I am at 60 minutes a day.  Small steps, but hopefully I will see big improvements in my health.

6.  This is the most important thing.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  We are a nation of overweight people.  Surely there is someone that you can talk to who can relate.  If not, feel free to e-mail me at brendamyers@msn.com.  I promise I will answer.

I have read many weight loss boards on websites.  Some posts are so positive that they inspire me but others leave me really sad.  Weight loss can be an emotional roller coaster.  Maybe, if we all lean on each other the journey will be easier!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What a great positive post! You are so right - support from other bandsters makes so much difference! Keep it up and good luck to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete