Lately, I have had a lot of people asking me how in the world I have lost 106 lbs. So here are my "secrets". Which really aren't that secret or mind blowing!
1. I had Lap-Band. LAP-BAND not Gastric Bypass. They are completely different. Nothing has been re-routed or cut in me. My insides are all accouted for. If you do not know the difference and want to.......google Lap-Band vs. Gastric Bypass.
2. I log all my food and drinks on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ . This has been one of the best decisions. Even when I was not exercising, I knew exactly what I was putting in my mouth. Everyday. Everything. That is my motto.
3. I walk. EVERY DAY. No exceptions. When I first started this journey I did not exercise. It wasn't until I had lost about 50 lbs. that I felt I had the energy to exercise on dry land. I began by swimming and pretty soon I wanted to up my game. Really!
4. I drink at least 100 oz. of water a day. I do not drink soda. EVER. This is because I was a Diet Coke junkie. About 8 Diet Cokes a day. For me it is like crack. I don't even want a taste because I know that if I have it, I will only want more. In the beginning I used Crystal Light or flavored water. Now I drink it straight up.
5. I watch my sodium. Sometimes I watch it as I lick chips. But, I am always aware how much sodium I have. Why? Because I am salt sensitive. Any salt intake will make me retain water. And when I retain water the scale will not budge. This is something I struggle with. Because I LOVE chips.
6. I have an open communication with my surgeon. I tell him EVERYTHING. Which probably annoys the hell out of him. But, I figure my success is also his success. I don't think he really wants someone who is not succeeding as a representation of his practice.
7. I try to get adequate rest. Try.........because by nature I am a night owl. But, I have noticed when I get more sleep I crave carbs less.
8. I take a fist full of vitamins every morning. Because if I were to go bald due to a vitamin deficiency........well, I don't want to discuss it. I would cry myself to sleep while in the fetal position.
9. Here is a biggie. I do not eat fast food. It is the devil. It is what made me fat in the first place. I am a control freak, so cooking and eating at home give me the control I crave. Have I eaten out? Sure, but I have not been to the golden arches since being banded and I do not intend to go back. Just the smell of grease makes my stomach turn now.
10. When I am worried, upset or mad I strap on my tennis shoes and walk. I, like most over-eaters, am an emotional eater. I have really worked on breaking the cycle. I want to be able to feel my emotions not eat them and shove them down.
11. I do not have taboo foods. If I want something I eat it in MODERATION. I also eat it in front of people. There are no secrets.
12. I no longer have the "all or nothing" mentality. Before, if I fell off the wagon, I would beat myself up about it. I would tell myself I was worthless. That I was a loser. Not anymore. One day or one week is only a blip in the calendar. Everyday is an opportunity to start over fresh.
So there you have it. Just a few things that have led me to a new healthier and happier self.
Believe me, if I can do this anyone can.