Weight Loss Ticker

About Me

My photo
TX, United States
I am a 39 yr. old stay at home mom to 3 girls ages 10, 9 and 7. My goal is to be fit by 40! I want to lead a healthier lifestyle. I was banded on 4/5/2011. I tend to be a bit on the sarcastic and cynical side. I love to read, hate to excersise (but am learning to tolerate it!), love to shop and want to smack anyone who is a size 2 (not really!). I am learning to work with my band and my new self one day at a time!

Contact Info

Please feel free to e-mail me at brendamyers@msn.com

Powered By Blogger
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Unsolicited Diet Advice

Do you get unsolicited diet advice?  This past week it seems that I have received more diet advice than I ever have.

I have been told to:

1.  Eat only whole foods
2.  Try Herb*life
3.  No sugar
4.  No carbs
5.  More protein (this one makes it quite apparent that people do not know how us bandsters eat)
6.  Try a pre-packaged meal plan
7.  Join Weight* Watchers

And the list goes on.................

What makes it okay to approach me now?  Do they think maybe somehow I have lost 97 lbs. by some accident?

I have used this new found concern with my weight loss to educate people about being banded.  I am sure they love to hear me talk about the band but, fair is fair.  You want me to listen to your diet advice.....well, listen how I am going to keep my weight off.

You see, this is NOT a diet.  I look at this as a complete lifestyle change.  I know now what a correct portion size is.  I know I have to eat at least 80 grams of protein and drink about 100 oz. of water a day.  I know I have to keep my carbs to around 50 grams, my sodium to no more than 2,500 mg, my sugar below 30 g (that one I still struggle with!). 

The point is:  for the first time in my life I am knowledgeable about what goes into my body.  I track everything that enters my mouth.

I exercise no fewer than 5 days a week.  Most days between 1-1 1/2 hours.  I am extremely active now.

I know now what is takes.  I have goals.  I hold myself accountable.

If I choose to eat a cookie and the scale does not budge then I know it was my doing.  I also know that just one day is not going to affect how I eat MOST days. 

Now instead of "bad" foods and "good" foods,  I consider foods "sometimes" and "always". 

This band has changed my whole perspective about food.

This band is going to get me to my goal (that and my willpower).

This band is going to help me maintain when I get to goal.

This band is going to make me succeed.

Isn't it funny that a tiny piece of plastic has changed my whole way of thinking?

So, bring on the diet advice.  Just don't be surprised when you have to hear how about how Lap-band is my "diet" of choice.

7 comments:

  1. Good for you ! I only work on calories, protein and water for now (but know that one day I will add sugar and carbs). You are so inspirational ... I would love to see you 'lecture' others on successful 'dieting' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, you're SO right, Brenda.

    You're an inspiration, lady! :)

    Also... the confirmation word for my comment was swines. LOL What is this site trying to tell me?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You school them, Brenda! Seriously, you have lost almost 100 lbs.; I think you might have an idea how to lose.....
    I love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen sister! I am still taken aback when people start offereing unsolicited advice - and I hate that it makes me feel so defensive! It always puts me off balance. Gah! But you go - glad you were able to rebut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, your weight loss is a huge inspiration - almost 100 pounds is an amazing accomplishment - so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen!!! It's funny how when people notice that you are losing weight they feel like they HAVE to tell you how to do it right. I usually just say that I am working with a nutritionist and we are both very happy with the results...that usually shuts them up!

    You are so close to 100 lbs...keep it up and you'll be there soon!!!

    ReplyDelete